A little over a month ago, we announced that Intrinsic Algorithm was expanding its consulting to include other industry veterans. At the time, we also had to play it a little close to the proverbial vest in that the people we were bringing on were still attached to their respective studios. One of those people has now left his full-time job, however, so we are able to make the formal announcement! Borut Pfeifer has gone out on his own – in part, to do his “own thing” and, in part, to work as an AI consultant under the Intrinsic Algorithm banner.
- Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, Sony Online Entertainment (developer and publisher), Nov 2006, Platform: PS3. Credited as Lead Gameplay Programmer.
- Scarface: The World Is Yours, Radical Entertainment (developer), Viviendi Universal Games (publisher), Oct 2006, Platforms: PS2, XBox, PC. Responsible for collision, AI, and gameplay programming.
- “Creating Designer Tunable AI”, AI Game Programming Wisdom 4, editor Steve Rabin, Charles River Media, February 2008.
- “Peer-to-Peer Distributed Agent Processing”, AI Game Programming Wisdom 4, editor Steve Rabin, Charles River Media, February 2008.
- “Automatic Cover Finding Using Navigation Meshes”, Game Programming Gems 5, editor Kim Pallister, Charles River Media, March 2005.
- “Narrative Combat: Using AI to enhance tension in an Action Game”, Game Programming Gems 4, editor Andrew Kirmse, Charles River Media, March 2004.
- “Creating an Audio Scripting System”, Game Programming Gems 4, editor Andrew Kirmse, Charles River Media, March 2004.
- “Soapbox: The Rise of the Auteur & the Return of Indie Game Development“,Gamasutra, July 2005.
- “Seven Misconceptions about Game Agents“, Gamasutra, June 2003.
- “The Whys and Wherefores of Game Agents”, Secrets of the Game Business, editor Francois D. Laramee, Charles River Media, February 2003.
- “Performing Intent“, AIIDE, Stanford, October 2008.
- “Creating Emergent Gameplay with Autonomous Agents“, Game AI Workshop at AAAI-04, San Jose, July 2004.
- “AI to Control Pacing in Games“, Artificial Intelligence, Interactivity, and Immersive Environments: 2nd Annual Game Development Workshop, University of Texas at Austin, August 2003.
- “Characters Welcome: Next Steps Toward Human AI” – panelist, AI Summit, GDC 2009
- “The Photoshop of AI: Debating the Structure vs. Style Decomposition of Game AI” – panel moderator, AI Summit, GDC 2009
Tags: Borut Pfeifer